Press release – Gamlem/Søvik, Norway, 29 September
KEY CONTRACTS FOR PYRO™ TANK HEATING SYSTEMS
Ulmatec Pyro AS has secured contracts for delivering Pyro™ tank heating systems to newbuilds 759 and 778 at STX OSV Aukra and 779 at STX OSV Brattvag. Norway’s Solstad offshore vessel owner has also ordered a Pyro™ tank heating system for retrofitting on anchorhandler Normand Mjolne.
“We introduced this solution to the market in the first half of 2011, and are proud that we’ve already sold three systems for three offshore newbuilds and one for a offshore vessel retrofit,” says Jan Petter Urke, managing director of Ulmatec Pyro.
“The first systems will be ready for commissioning before the end of 2011,” he adds, and characterises the orders as key contracts for the company.
“The industry is very concerned to achieve environmental and energy efficiency. With these contracts, we’ve been given a golden opportunity to secure the quick introduction of a tank heating system which cuts fuel consumption and thereby reduces emissions.”
The new system from Ulmatec Pyro uses waste heat to save on fuel, with the energy transferred by a thermal fluid system. The traditional method for tank heating has been to generate steam for injection into the tank contents, and consuming fuel in doing so.
Ulmatec Pyro innovative solution combines low operating costs with high energy efficiency as well as low installation costs.
This Pyro™ system exploits “green energy” from heat recovery in high-temperature (HT) cooling systems and/or exhaust gas economisers in the exhaust gas system. Heating elements in the tank comprise small high-performance heating coils designed for fast and easy mounting and dismantling.
Captions related illustrations:
Picture No 1
Pyro™ tank heating system:
- closed pressurised heating system for marine installations based on thermal fluid (water) circulation and a working temperature up to 100°C
- working pressure normally three bar.
- automatically controlled and monitored by a control system, can be interfaced to the main computer system (IAS), and features manual control as standard
- complies with the Nofo 2009 standard and the OILREC class notation
Picture No 2
Low installation and operating costs:
- significant reduction in installation cost
- no need for complex piping systems
- fully integrated in the ship’s central heating system
- small heating coil fitted in each tank close to the discharge pump suction line heats tank contents efficiently
- high-performance heating coils with capacity up to 200 kW
- the discharge pump connected to the tank can be used for internal circulation in the tank, yielding more effective heat exchange
Ulmatec Pyro AS in brief
Ulmatec Pyro is a leading supplier and manufacturer of heating and waste treatment systems for the marine industry, backed by solid experience and customer feedback built up since 1951. More than 15 000 ships worldwide have been equipped with Pyro™ hot water heating system to date.
A solution from Ulmatec Pyro utilises waste heat, and uses fuel only when such “green” energy is not sufficient/available. Heat generators and consumers are split into separate temperature circuits and connected together for optimal energy saving.
Ulmatec Pyro is a part of the Ulmatec group and located at Gamlem near Ålesund on the west coast of Norway.
Ulmatec in brief
Ulmatec is an abbreviation for Ulstein Marine Technology AS. This company can trace its history back to 1917 and to Ulstein Mek Verksted, the origin of the Ulstein group. After 1999, a number of new marine businesses flourished following the acquisition of Ulstein by Vickers and Rolls-Royce. One of these was Ulmatec. Established in 2000, it is now the parent of a group of companies delivering marine technology and services worldwide.
For more information, please contact:
|Jan Petter Urke
Ulmatec Pyro AS
Tel. +47 911 09 201
Jon Åge Eidem
Sales- and marketing director
Ulstein Marine Technology AS
Tel. +47 909 60 477